Timeline

  1. 1780 - 1843
  2. 1855 - 1952
  3. 1963 - 2015
1780
Edward Swanson begins a log cabin on land near present day Thompson’s Station granted to him for his Revolutionary War service. Native Americans became too hostile and Swanson retreated to the fort at Nashboro settlement.

1798
A 2nd group of settlers arrived in the Harpeth River Valley, including Rebecca Green Neely, the first woman to cross the Harpeth River, her husband George and their son James.

1800
  • The Williamson County tax list logged 24 people as paying taxes on land along the West Harpeth River and Murfree’s Fork near present Thompson’s Station.
  • Francis Seymour Giddens and his wife, Mary, arrive in the Thompson’s Station area, acquire land along Murfree’s Fork and a build a log home where they live until 1819.
1801
Spencer Buford and his wife, Elizabeth Giddens Buford, build a 2-story Federal style brick house on the knoll at what today is Roderick Place.

1819
Francis and Mary Giddens complete and move into their new 3-story brick home, considered the manor of the community. It remains today as Homestead Manor. In 1819, only one house stood between Homestead Manor and the town of Columbia. It belonged to Colonel Samuel Polk, the father of future President James K. Polk.

1830
Between 1830 and 1840, the Prospect Methodist Church is erected, one of the first churches recorded in the town. Thompson’s Station Church of Christ is founded in 1845.

1833
Jeremiah Cherry is named the first Postmaster of the town, then known as White House.

1836
The town name is changed to Littlebury and Littleberry Starks is named Postmaster.

1843
The Scholastic School census makes its first reference to the existence of a school in the village for its 258 children.